Sunday, September 16, 2007

I Drive a Truck

I am Joram and I drive a truck. Anyone who drives a truck will know that when one of your friends is moving they will come to you for help - this was the case today. My friend Adam who has been looking high and low for a couch was finally getting one from his sister. He called me up to help move it. I put my shoes on and headed to West Seattle.

Now, Adam recently got into a car accident, so he was not going to be able to help move the couch, luckily he has a roommate who is capable of lifting heavy objects. I picked up Adam and his roommate, "P", and had them tell me the way to his sisters. I got led through unknown parts of Seattle and I'm pretty sure, I would get lost if I tried to take that way again, but we did get to his sister's place without any trouble. His sister wasn't home, but the couch was on their patio/deck area and they were on the first floor. Adam took the cushions and shoved it in the back of the cab while P and I moved the couch. As we were loading this, we realized that to an outside observer, we are strangers in the neighborhood that just grabbed a couch from someone's patio - I'm just glad we got out of there before any cops where called. We tied down the couch, luckily I still knew some knots, and headed back to Adam's place.

Once back to their place, I really started to get worried of getting it up the stairs. Adam and P lives on the 3rd floor of this apt. complex and there isn't an elevator. Let's just stay moving that couch up those stairs was strenious. Like I mentioned, it had to go up three floors and we had to move it back and forth with the stairs and it was too tall to stand up... it was heavy and ugh!

We did finally make it up to the third floor and we looked at the door way and the hall way the couch had to go through. Oh my... another tight fit. We realized that the only way the couch could get around some of these corners was to stand it up. We then took some measurements and found out that we had about an inch to spare. We did have to take down some light fixtures because those were in the way. After more strenuous moments moving the couch, we finally got the couch to their living room and Adam and P finally has a couch. In return they gave me a box of animal crackers and some gas money - score!

Now I know this won't be the last time I will have to help move somebody as I have done it already with Adam before, Bri when she was moving and once again Bri needs to move some large things to her moms soon. Ehh, I guess it comes with the truck - if you use one, expect for requests for help.

No comments: