Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Overfat vs Overweight

Overweight does not mean fat. Coming from a football background, I've played with many athletes who were overweight. Did that mean they were fat, some - most, sure, but not all. Everywhere I turn, it's I got to lose weight this, I got to lose weight that, at work, on tv, at home (roommate's going to read this be like, "WTF?!, I'll kill joo!"), everywhere. Just because someone weights more than the norm doesn't make them fat. People are so concerned about weight so much, that they start working out with weights (because they hear from the media, muscle burns more fat!) and what happens - they gain weight, unfortunately not many will notice oh, I'm more defined or I'm bigger in the right areas and smaller in the problem areas. A couple stories about weight and sizes;
#1
I weight the same as I did in high school. I wore these jeans which I had in hight this past weekend. I use to be able to shake those jeans off of me back in high school. Those jeans now can stay up all on their own without a belt. I'm the same weight, but my waistline is bigger.

#2;
My roommate wore some jeans she had back in college this past weekend. Apparantly she weight the same now as she did in college. She had extra room in her jeans. So much extra space that she could fit both her hand down the front to the crotch (oh, yeah, she'll be killing me soon).

These examples show how weight shouldn't always be a gauge of progression. Record your workouts! My roommate has her "Bible" and I have my spiral notebooks. If you run 1 mile one week, then 1.1 mile the week after and still weight the same, that's progression. You only ran 1 mile this week, but you ran it faster than week one, progression!

Use weight as a guide, but not as the only measure in your progression.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, I agree with you. Well, there is a difference between overweight and fat. A lot of people are overweight by a few extra pounds and look pretty good like the BBWs i know on largefriendsdotcom , but fat is significantly overweight and does detract from appearance generally. In fact there is no need for us to concern the problem too much as there are both guys and girls out there who are very attracted to very overweight. It all depends on the person.

World of BRi said...

Major!! I'll kill you.
Couple things....
1) I only stress about my weight because of my training. It's harder to swim,bike,run when overweight. Plus, not as attractive in wetsuit or bike shorts! Okay, I also stress because I am a single girl who fears she will never be good enough for some stupid guy. Damn society.
2) I think the pants were big, but not as big as one would think. I was kind of a tomboy in college (and even still now) and wore my clothes a little baggier. Although, I guarantee, not as baggy as those jeans were.

And darn you. I'm on fitday now.