On the drive and walk, I got to see some of the route I'll be running on Sunday. From what I saw, the entire run is flat! After Virginia Beach, we headed to one of the local malls. I ended up buying a new pair of running shoes (gah! running is expensive). Then we decided to get a run in to help me prepare for the race. We went back to my aunt's house so that I could change into some running clothes. We then go to a place called "Mount Trashmore". I kid you not! My cousin told me the path around the park was 3 miles, but after running it, it felt more like 1.5 miles. I probably missed a few loops. Oh well, after one lap, my cousin walk the path again, so I got my 3 miles for the day.
With my run out of the way, we go get some food at another mall (I was in the mood for some teriyaki and this mall had one). Before we entered the mall, my cousin tells me that this mall has alot of black people. I respond with, "ok" and didn't think much of it. As we enter, I see a few black people, nothing too unusual. Then I start seeing the stores. The window displayed black mannequins and signs were of black people. I just think to myself that maybe these first few stores were just marketing to the black crowd. We walk by more stores and the stores had similar "marketing". Then right by the food court was a barber shop. Interesting, I see stylist everywhere, but I haven't seen a barber shop in years. Except in a movie. Ok, this is a black mall. There I said it! Anyway, we have some teriyaki at the food court and we head out.
Even after having some teriyaki, my cousin has a craving for some burgers - especially white castle burger. He mentions the nearest one is in New Jersey, about "3 hours away".
"Really?!", I reply.
I immediately agree on a 3 hour drive for some White Castle burgers. My cousin gets on his garmin or whatever he has in his car to look up the direction to the nearest White Castle. Well, 3 hours wasn't quite accurate. The nearest one was 307 miles. I realized that a 6 hour drive was NOT worth it for some White Castle burgers. Harold and Kumar we are not.
After the disappointment, my cousin takes me to the Norfolk waterfront for some tourist attractions. We walk around for about an hour, checking out some of the waterfront features. He then takes me to the local college, Old Dominion University. It's a smaller university, but all the features of a college are there - a book store, cute undergrads, bikers, neighborhoods filled with undergrads, some playing fields and did I mention undergrads? We stop over at my cousin's friends house in the area and chat for a bit.
His friend recently had a baby and we got to meet him. Awwww, so cute! It seemed he took a liking to me, stared at me and got all excited. I wish girls had the same reaction to me! But you're just a baby. As it got dark, my cousin then headed home to my aunts for dinner.My aunt is fattening me up. I get home and she thinks I didn't eat the breakfast she left for me this morning. I tell her I did, but she tells me there were leftovers. Of course there were left overs, she left me enough food for a family of four. As I was eating dinner, she tells me to not be shy about eating and that she cooks a lot and there are will be plenty of food - oh boy. Good thing I lost a bit of weight before coming here, because my aunt will certainly make sure I gain some weight back.
No comments:
Post a Comment