Monday, May 19, 2008

Kirkland 1/2 Marathon

I know this is more than a week behind, but I thought I'd post something up about my first 1/2 marathon. I actually started writing this at work last week, but things have just sucked so much that I couldn't even touch it until now. Anyway, on to the Kirkland 1/2 Marathon....

My alarm wakes me up before 5:30, but I hit the snooze button to try to get a few more minutes of sleep. This extra sleep doesn't last as Kibbie, the house cat, jumps on my bed and "meows" at my face. With Kibbie following, I make my way to the kitchen to have breakfast. I eat one egg, over-easy, two whole wheat toast, and one banana. I make my way back to my room to switch into my running gear. As I start pulling the pile of Champion gear by my shoes, I take a quick peak outside and find it cloudy and chilly - greaaat. Being so chilly, I decide to take a quick shower to wake myself up and to help my muscles warm up. After the shower, I finally put on my running short, shirt, socks, and shoes. I then put on a jacket and warm-up pants to help keep my self warm before the run. I grab my bag and put my hat and gloves in it. I head downstairs and grab a couple pills I'll be taking after the run, a powerade from the fridge, and a peanut butter sandwich I made the night before. I take another quick check of my inventory to make sure I have everything I'll need. With everything I need, I head for the door. As I open the door, Kibbie, runs out the door and only stops at the steps.
"Hey! Stop! Get back inside!"
Kibbie just looks outward and points his butt at my face - Jerk!
I put my bag down and grab Kibbie and put him back inside the apartment and lock the door.
Alright, finally, on to Kirkland. I drive over to Juanita Park in Kirkland and on my way there, I start seeing the orange traffic cones for where the marathon will run through.

Ok, change of pace, enough with these complete sentences because, my mind wonders too much for that...

As I near Juanita Park:
Where can I park? A bunch of roads are blocked.
I find some space a few blocks away from the park.
Holy crap, it's cloudy, it's cold and all the breeze is not helping.
I deliver the envelope of money to Hope Link, they seemed surprised. Wait? Did I do this right? Was I suppose to do all the donation online or what? Damn brochure!
I walk around to try to stay warm.
The half marathon walk is about to start.
I go over and do some clapping and cheering for the walkers.
Ok, time for me to get ready.
One last trip to the port-o-potties.
I strip off my jacket and pants (I wore shorts underneath) and give it to the clothes drop off booth.
I find a little area of my own and start my warm ups
Jumping jacks.
Stretches.
More stretches.
Ok, I make my way over to the 10:00 minute pace group.
Oh god its windy!
I walk over to a SUV parked near the start area and use it as a wind breaker.
I few people join me.
Rain? what? who said rain?
"On my way down here from the North, there was rain"
Oh please, don't let it rain, it's cold already.
Ok, 2 minutes before the start, I go back to the pace group.
3...2...1...HOOOOONNK (air horn sound).
Ok, here we go.
I'm aiming for a sub 11:00 minute pace for the entire race.
Oh, here comes the first hill of many.
Ok, not too bad.
Ohh, first mile already... 9:00 minutes?! Oh crap, must slow down.
Run, run, run
2nd mile, 21 minutes?! Did I just slow down to a 12 minute mile?! Ok, somewhere in between.
Oh god, more hills.
3rd mile, 31 minutes. Hmm, 10:20 pace, ok maybe the first two mile markers were off, but 10:20 is a good pace.
Ohhh, water station! I thought we wouldn't have one until mile 5.
I walk to make sure I actually drink and not choke the water and Gatorade.
Back to running.
I see a guy take a turn 90 degrees and run into some bushes.
Where is he going?
....ohhhh
Run, run, run
4 miles go by, forty something minutes - blah.
I finally take off my gloves and put it in the small of my back as the roommate had suggested.
GLOVES! GLOVES! GLOVES!
What? oh!
The gloves fell and luckily enough, the people behind me notified me and one even picked it up. I do some weird 180 degree jump spin and wait for the runner behind me to hand me my glove.
I get my glove and continue on the run.
Bah, more hills.
I don't know what mile I'm on anymore.
More water!
"Gatorade is next"
LIES, the Gatorade was gone. Oh, I hope the electrolytes hold up.
More running.
My pace is easily a sub 11 minute pace, but I'm still scared my body will just fail when I enter 10, 11, and 12 miles.
Another water station. No Gatorade again!
God, where am I? how'd I end up over the highway?!
Ugh, my feet hurts! Running down hill hurts! Ugh, can't go full speed on downhills.
Oh noes, hills!
This guy passes me... again? Wait a minute, this guy has passed me like 5 times now, but I never notice passing him, weird.
Oh geez, enough with the hills.
How long have I been running? Hour and half?! geez!
More water stations with no Gatorade.
Ok, must be nearing the end, the waterfront is coming up!
OMG, a water station with Gatorade!
The greatest tasting Gatorade I've ever had in my life. A little too much, but oh so delicious.
Ohhh, Lake Washington... ow, it hurts to turn my head.
Ok, back to running.
Getting much closer, into the double digits.
Wow, these streets sucks. It's at a much steeper angle than most streets, so I hop on the sidewalk.
Oh, why more hills?! Why?! seriously?!
Mile 12?! Really?
Ok, Kick it Joram.
Hey, that's my mom and little brother.
Ouch, what was that? Oh noes, my right calf nearly cramped up.
On no, again. Oh hells no, not now!
Oh, smile for mom's camera... too slow mom, I'm not stopping now.
Oh, so close to the finish.
Another turn.
Ok, another turn.
Ok, another one. Oh, there's the finish.
OmG, I finished.
Ohh, goodie bag, no time to look, get this chip off my shoe and give me some water.
Hmm, water.
Hmm, banana.
Hmm, free pizza. Umm, why can't I chew? My jaw is cramping up?!
I chew through the pain and finish the pizza.
I get my jacket and pants at the booth and look for more free stuff at the park.
I grab an apple and head back to the car to get my cell phone to call my mom.
Oh, feeling light headed. Ok, I guess I'll sit here.
Ok, drink a bit more water.
Ok, I'm fine.

Anyway, I finished the race at 2:18:25 a 10:34 per mile pace which was much faster than I had wanted. I finally found my mom and celebrated mother's day with her for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: