So yesterday, one week after my half marathon, I ran the "5 miler" at the Capital City Marathon in Olympia. I wasn't sure how'd I do, since my roommate suggested I should just stay off my feet for a while after my first 1/2 marathon, but what can I say? I'm too competative! Anyway, there was a few things that worried me;
-When I ran 3.2 miles the Thursday before, my muscles hurt afterwards. I guess that was a sign that I was not at 100% yet.
-Another thing that was worrying me was the hot weather on Friday and Saturday, it made it hard to stay hydrated. I tried drinking a lot of water Saturday night, but I was still dehydrated.
-Poor diet, my mom doesn't have the food I've been normally been eating, bananas, whole wheat bread, chicken. I made do with some rice, pork, and salad (wait, I shouldn't be having ruffage the night before).
I ended up stopping at Wal-Mart to grab a couple bananas to eat on my way to Olympia the next morning. Also, I had 4 glasses of water as part of my breakfast to combat the dehydration. As for my body, I was hoping it had recovered enough in the last couple days.
One thing I'll say about this event, they need more port-o-potties! I get there and I make a bee-line for the port-o-potties. Sweet, no line, wait, yeah there is and it goes all the way... back there?! I stand in line for about 15-20 minutes and when I hear that the 1/2 marathon was starting soon and if the 5 milers in line for the bathroom(me), could let the 1/2 marathoners have cuts. Oh heck no! I look at the people in front of me and they see my bib and I just cover it up and whimper for bit. I don't give anyone any cuts and just run to the port-o-pottie when one opened up.
After the bathroom incedent, I go over to the start area to cheer the 1/2 marathoners. When they go by, I go over to the course map and study it a little bit more. I then take off my pants (I'm wearing shorts!) and drop it off at the clothes drop off booth. I do my warm ups and then head to the start line. Right before we start we are warned that it seems some people have been too stupid to notice the "Road Closed" signed in the middle of the roads and have driven on the course - FUN. Moments later the race starts.
We run through a few city blocks before getting the main strip, Capital Way, there I see the fast guys are waaaaay ahead. Now my goal for this run was to run a sub 10 minute pace, so 51:59 was my goal time (race was suppose to be 5.2 miles). I run my first mile at 9:40, nice, good pace. Right before I reach the 2 mile marker, I see the fast runners running back on the other side of the street - Geez! I'm just breaking a sweat and these guys are on getting ready to finish already. I wasn't expecting any water station for a 5 mile run, but since the course was also on the marathon and 1/2 marathon, there was a couple of water station. I grab some water and keep myself hydrated. I continue on my run and see that I'm on an awesome pace for a sub 10:00. Just before the turn around I notice that I'm running on a bike lane that is as wide as the car lane - wow, I'm sure a lot of bikers in Seattle would love to have this kind of space. I reach mile 3 and I try to speed up a little bit more. I end up passing these two girls (I later find out they're 14), and I tell myself that I should at least beat these girls. Right before mile 4 the girls pass me - gatdagit! I try to speed up some more. We come up on a small hill and as I reach the top, I could hear the speakers from the finish line. I try to speed up some more. I get to the point where I think I just can't or should speed up anymore if I want to finish this race running. I peaked. I start slowing down and those thow girls I passed recently pass me again - BAH! I finally try to run as fast as I can after running 5+ miles, but those two girls ended up beating me by about 13 seconds. Oh well.
I look at the time and end up finishing at 48:13, a 9:16 pace. Holy crap, are they sure that was 5.2 miles and not 5 miles? Wow, that pace time really surprised me, I guess my next goal for a short run is to beat a 9:00 pace.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment